ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association
has selected Connecticut guard Tiffany Hayes as its Women's
National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday,
Jan. 29. The USBWA's weekly honor will be handed out each Tuesday
through Feb. 21 this season.
As the Big East Conference Player of the Week, Hayes was nominated
for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the
USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players
of the week.
Hayes, a 5-10 senior from Lakeland, Fla., scored 68 points in
back-to-back wins – the most ever in UConn's storied history – averaging
34.0 points, 8.5 rebounds while shooting 70 percent from the field.
In a 95-54 win over Syracuse last Monday, she scored a career-high
35 points on 11-of-15 shooting, including 6-of-8 from 3-point range.
On Wednesday, she added 33 points and 10 rebounds in a 77-62 win
over USF for the No. 3 Huskies (20-2).
She is Connecticut's leading scorer with a 16.1 average and is
fifth in the Big East in scoring.
This is the first season that the USBWA has selected a women's
national player of the week. The weekly national player of the week
is added to the award's watch list, which will be released at mid-season.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA
will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the entire
membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2012 National Player
of the Year will be announced and presented at the USBWA's annual
awards breakfast in Denver, site of the 2012 NCAA Women's Final
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected a women's All-America
team since the 1996-97 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Joe Mitch at
2011-12 USBWA Women's National Players of the Week
• Week of Dec. 11: A'dia Mathies, Kentucky (Southeastern
• Week of Dec. 18: Brittney Griner, Baylor (Big 12
• Week of Dec. 25: Nnemkadi Ogwumike, Stanford (Pac-12
• Week of Jan. 1: Sugar Rodgers, Georgetown (Big East
• Week of Jan. 8: Elena Delle Donne, Delaware (Colonial
• Week of Jan. 15: Brittany Rayburn, Purdue (Big Ten
• Week of Jan. 22: Jessica Jenkins, St. Bonaventure
(Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week of Jan. 29: Tiffany Hayes, Connecticut (Big
• Week of Feb. 5: Markeshia Grant, South Carolina
• Week of Feb. 12: Tianna Hawkins, Maryland (Atlantic
• Week of Feb. 19: Shey Peddy, Temple (Atlantic 10