ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association
has selected St. Bonaventure guard Jessica Jenkins as its
Women's National Player of the Week for games ending the
week of Sunday, Jan. 22. The USBWA's weekly honor will be handed
out each Tuesday through Feb. 21 this season.
As the Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Week, Jenkins was
nominated for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative
of the USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference
players of the week.
Jenkins, a 5-8 senior from Marion, Ohio, set the Atlantic Ten
record for career three-pointers at 293 following knocking down
six as part of the 23 points she scored in Saturday's win at Charlotte.
She also had 18 points in the previous win over Richmond.
She is the Bonnies' leading scorer with a 14.7 average and is
fifth in the Atlantic Ten in scoring helping the Bonnies (18-2,
5-0 Atlantic Ten) to first place in the conference.
This is the first season that the USBWA has selected a women's
national player of the week. The weekly national player of the week
is added to the award's watch list, which will be released at mid-season.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA
will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the entire
membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2012 National Player
of the Year will be announced and presented at the USBWA's annual
awards breakfast in Denver, site of the 2012 NCAA Women's Final
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected a women's All-America
team since the 1996-97 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Joe Mitch at
2011-12 USBWA Women's National Players of the Week
• Week of Dec. 11: A'dia Mathies, Kentucky (Southeastern
• Week of Dec. 18: Brittney Griner, Baylor (Big 12
• Week of Dec. 25: Nnemkadi Ogwumike, Stanford (Pac-12
• Week of Jan. 1: Sugar Rodgers, Georgetown (Big East
• Week of Jan. 8: Elena Delle Donne, Delaware (Colonial
• Week of Jan. 15: Brittany Rayburn, Purdue (Big Ten
• Week of Jan. 22: Jessica Jenkins, St. Bonaventure
(Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week of Jan. 29: Tiffany Hayes, Connecticut (Big
• Week of Feb. 5: Markeshia Grant, South Carolina
• Week of Feb. 12: Tianna Hawkins, Maryland (Atlantic
• Week of Feb. 19: Shey Peddy, Temple (Atlantic 10