DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National
Players of the Week awards for the week ending on March
3. Young Harris senior outfielder Zavier Lushington
is the National Hitter of the Week, Rockhurst junior
pitcher Jack Eisenbarger is the National
Pitcher of the Week.
Lushington (Atlanta, Ga./Central Alabama CC) hit .520 with four
home runs and 11 RBI for the Mountain Lions. The senior was three-for-five
with two homers and four RBI in a doubleheader sweep of Clark Atlanta.
He then connected on two homers with five RBI in a win over Cedarville.
Lushington had two multi-hit games in series against UNC Pembroke,
driving in two in the opener as part of an 11-6 win. He was two-for-five
with a stolen base and two runs scored in the second game. For the
week, Lushington had a 1.000 slugging percentage and .571 on-base
Eisenbarger (Kirkwood, Mo./Vianney HS) threw first no-hitter
in school history with 10 strikeouts and three walks in 7.0 innings
pitched. He retired the side in order in the second, fourth and
seventh innings, while he struck out the side in the first inning.
He fanned ten with three walks.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
• Atlantic: Ben
Snyder, Millersville (Hitter); Nate Fiala, East Stroudsburg (Pitcher)
• Central: Jordan Hart, Minnesota State (Hitter); Anthony Castaneda,
Missouri Western (Pitcher)
• East: Nate Steele, University of
Sciences (Hitter); Cole Chudoba, Assumption (Pitcher)
Zach Wiley, Bellarmine (Hitter); Jack Eisenbarger, Rockhurst (Pitcher)
• South: Trevor Smeeton, West Alabama (Hitter); Kevin Pimentel,
• South Central: Logan Soole, MSU-Denver (Hitter);
Gabe Rodery, Oklahoma Christian (Pitcher)
• Southeast: Zavier
Lushington, Young Harris (Hitter); Kolton Ingram, Columbus State
• West: Daniel Cipriano, Montana State Billings (Hitter);
Chase Wheatcroft, Stanislaus State (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2019 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 17: John Michael Faile, North Greenville (Hitter); Will Bausinger, Missouri Southern State (Pitcher)
• Week ending Feb. 24: Matt Chamberlain, New Haven (Hitter); Cooper Cain, Valdosta State (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 3: Zavier Lushington, Young Harris (Hitter); Jack Eisenbarger, Rockhurst (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 10: Jacob Teter, Florida Southern (Hitter); Grant Larson, Chico State (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 17: Matt Malkin, MSU Denver (Hitter); Charles Hall, Tusculum (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 24: Marquise Lanier, Chowan (Hitter); Savontae Williams, Tuskegee (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 31: Tido Robles, Azusa Pacific (Hitter); Alex Roth, Western Oregon (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 7: Trevor Kehe, Colorado School of Mines (Hitter); Max Bain, Northwood (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 14: Josh Elvir, Angelo State (Hitter); Colby Shimmel, Barton (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 21: Max Troiani, Bentley (Hitter); Hayden Jaco, Cameron (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 28: Neil Fischer, Lindenwood (Hitter); Tyler Garbee, Mercyhurst (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 5: Auggie Francis, New Mexico Highlands (Hitter); Deven Judy, Gannon (Pitcher)