ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers
Association has selected Arizona State guard Shannon
Evans II as its Oscar Robertson National Player
of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday, Dec. 10.
The USBWA's weekly honor is presented by Blue Ribbon College
As the Pac-12 Conference Player of the Week, Evans was nominated
for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the
USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players
of the week. This is the ninth season that the USBWA has selected
a national player of the week.
The 6-1 senior guard from Suffolk, Va., opened his week with
18 points, six rebounds and six assists as the Sun Devils defeated
St. John's, 82-70, in Los Angeles on Friday night. Less than 48
hours later, Evans hit five 3-pointers en route to 22 points along
with five assists and no turnovers as ASU knocked off then-No. 2
Kansas in Lawrence. The upset was the best non-conference victory
over a ranked opponent in program history.
For the week, Evans averaged 20.0 points on 52 percent shooting
(13-25) from the field, including 53 percent behind the arc (8-15),
and 5.5 assists with an 11-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio as the
Sun Devils matched the best unbeaten start in program history at
9-0 and climbed to No. 5 in the latest Associated Press Top 25,
the highest ranking for the program since 1981. The Sun Devils are
9-0 for just the second time in program history (1974-75) and one
of just seven remaining unbeaten teams in NCAA Division I.
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University
of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year
Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only
one named after a former player.
the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA will name finalists
for the award, which is voted on by the entire membership.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America
team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA
and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Joe Mitch
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, the most comprehensive
college basketball publication in the world, returns for its 37th
season. Blue Ribbon – long-known as "The Bible of College Basketball"
– gives its readers the most thorough, up-to-date and timely evaluations
of every Division I team in the country. For more information about
Blue Ribbon Yearbooks, visit
2017-18 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
• Week ending Dec. 3: Devonté Graham, Kansas (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 10: Shannon Evans II, Arizona State (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 17: Trae Young, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 24: Trae Young, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 31: Kelan Martin, Butler (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 7: Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State (Big Ten Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 14: Chandler Hutchison, Boise State (Mountain West Conference) and Luwane Pipkins, Massachusetts (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 21: Jock Landale, St. Mary's (West Coast Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 28: Kevin Knox, Kentucky (Southeastern Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 4: Noah Dickerson, Washington (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 11: Shamorie Ponds, St. John's (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 18: Matt Mobley, St. Bonaventure (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 25: Carsen Edwards, Purdue (Big Ten Conference)