ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association
has selected Illinois forward Karisma Penn as its
Ann Meyers Drysdale Women's National Player of the Week
for games ending the week of Sunday, Dec. 30. The USBWA's weekly
honor will be handed out each Tuesday through Feb. 19 this season.
This week's award was released today due to the New Year's Day holiday.
As the Big Ten Conference Player of the Week, Penn was
nominated for the weekly award, which was chosen by a
representative of the USBWA board of directors from a list of
Division I conference players of the week.
Penn, a 6-2 senior from Shaker Heights, Ohio, scored 27
points on 64.7 percent shooting (11-17), grabbed a career-high
19 rebounds and had two blocked shots and a steal to lead the
Illini to an 70-59 win over then-unbeaten and No. 6 Georgia. She
is now Illlinois' all-time shot blocking leader, having passed
former Illini great Jenna Smith.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. At the Women's NCAA Final Four in Denver last April,
the organization announced going forward that the national and weekly
player award has been named for Hall of Famer and former UCLA All-American
Ann Meyers Drysdale. At the conclusion of the regular season, the
USBWA will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the
entire membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2013 Ann Meyers
Drysdale National Player of the Year will be announced and presented
at the USBWA's annual awards breakfast in New Orleans, site
of the 2013 NCAA Women's Final Four.
Several other women's awards are also to be announced later this
season associated with more famous names in women's basketball history.
At last season's Women's Final Four it was also announced that former
Tennessee coach Pat Summitt, who was the female recipient of the
Most Courageous Award for her battle against early onset dementia,
Alzheimer type, would have that award named in her honor.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected a women's
All-America team since the 1996-97 season. For more information
on the USBWA and its award programs, contact executive director
Joe Mitch at 314-795-6821.
2012-13 Ann Meyers Drysdale National Players of the Week
• Week of Dec. 9: Maggie Lucas, Penn State (Big Ten Conference)
• Week of Dec. 16: Chucky Jeffery, Colorado (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week of Dec. 23: Kelsey Bone, Texas A&M (Southeastern Conference)
• Week of Dec. 30: Karisma Penn, Illinois (Big Ten Conference)
• Week of Jan. 6: Kayla McBride, Notre Dame (Big East Conference)
• Week of Jan. 13: Brittney Griner, Baylor (Big 12 Conference)
• Week of Jan. 20: Stefanie Dolson, Connecticut (Big East Conference)
• Week of Jan. 27: Chiney Ogwumike, Stanford (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week of Feb. 3: Khaalidah Miller, Georgia (Southeastern Conference)
• Week of Feb. 10: Kelia Shelton, Louisiana Tech (Western Athletic Conference)
• Week of Feb. 17: Keiera Ray, Pennsylvania (Ivy League)