DALLAS (NCBWA) – University of Cumberlands
senior infielder Pedro Nazario had a week most baseball players
at any level can only imagine headlining the National Collegiate
Baseball Writers Association's National Association of
Intercollegiate Athletics' Hitter, Pitcher, and Player of the
Week announcement for Feb. 22-28.
Hitter of the Week: Nazario led the Patriots
to a 6-0 record during the span. He went 10-for-17 at the plate
with three grand slams, noting one in each of the three days
played. Nazario's story only started there, though, as the
senior batted in 20 runs in six games on nine hits for extra
bases. He moved up his home run count on the season to seven
with five this week alone. Of the Patriots' 57 runs scored in
the six games, Nazario scored ten times and batted in 20.
Pitcher and Rookie of the Week:
Tennessee Wesleyan University junior Robert Gonzalez registered
a key start and won against a top-tier opponent. He shut down
No. 3-ranked Georgia-Gwinnett's offense that was averaging 9.4
runs per game before being held to just one tally, their lowest
total of the season. Gonzalez was also dazzling with nine
strikeouts in six innings of work.
Rookie of the Week: Outfielder Carson Ford
made it two accolades for the fifth-ranked TWU program this
week. He helped guide the Tigers to a 4-0 record going
eight-of-13, including four home runs, eight runs scored, and
eight RBI. Ford topped his effort, going three-for-three,
including a homer in the second game against #17 Reinhardt
University. He belted big flies in all four games.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player
of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting.
The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2021 NAIA Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 7: Daniel Myers, Benedictine (Hitter); Chris Koeiman, Tennessee Wesleyan (Pitcher); Trevor Ball, Presentation (Rookie)
• Week ending Feb. 14: Gary Mattis, Tennessee Wesleyan (Hitter); Benjamin Harris, Brewton-Parker (Pitcher/Rookie)
• Week ending Feb. 28: Pedro Nazario, Cumberlands (Hitter); Robert Gonzalez, Tennessee Wesleyan (Pitcher); Carson Ford, Texas Wesleyan (Rookie)
• Week ending March 7: Jayden Adams, Concordia, Neb. (Hitter); Eli Jackson, Blue Mountain (Pitcher); Thaniel Thumper, Doane (Rookie)
• Week ending March 14: Justin Brooks, Middle Georgia State (Hitter); Dan Monear, Rochester (Hitter); Joe Osborn, Doane (Rookie)
• Week ending March 21: Zachary Presnall, Mobile (Hitter); Antonio Frias, Faulkner (Pitcher); Stephen Still, Loyola (Rookie)
• Week ending March 28: Shane Stewart, Central Baptist (Hitter); Chris Wall, Columbia College (Pitcher); Evan Juniper, Kentucky Christian (Rookie)
• Week ending April 4: Justice Lucas, Faulkner (Hitter); Garrett Martin, Middle Georgia State (Pitcher); Tucker Musgrove, Mobile (Rookie)
• Week ending April 11: Aaron Saal, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Hitter); Jared Davis, Texas A&M-Texarkana (Pitcher); Hayden Sullivan, Ava Maria (Rookie)