DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers
Association (NCBWA) released its National Player of the Week awards
for the period ending May 12. Dallas Baptist junior designated hitter
Bryce Ball was named National Hitter of
the Week, while East Tennessee State senior right-handed
pitcher Micah Kaczor was named National
Pitcher of the Week. The NCBWA Board reviews candidates
from each Division I Conference each week and names winners each
Tuesday throughout the season.
Ball went on a tear to power the Patriots to a 4-0 week against
Stephen F. Austin and nationally-ranked Indiana State. The junior
from Mason City, Iowa, blasted five home runs in four games, finishing
the week 7-for-15 (.467) at the plate with a 1.600 slugging percentage.
Ball drove in 13 runs and scored seven times as the Patriots moved
into a tie for first place in The Missouri Valley Conference standings.
Kaczor threw a complete game shutout in a series-opening win
over The Citadel this past Friday, going the distance for the first
time in his career. In 9.0 innings, he allowed just three hits and
only five base runners the entire game.
The senior ace from Washington, D.C. allowed just one walk while
striking out eight in the 4-0 win. He was the first ETSU pitcher
this season to toss a complete game, while becoming the first Buccaneer
since 2017 to finish a complete game shutout.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit
the association's official website,
For more information on the NCBWA Division I National Players
of the Week, contact NCBWA Assistant Executive Director
at West Virginia University at 304-293-2821.
2019 NCBWA Division I Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 17: Austin Martin, Vanderbilt (Hitter); Grant Judkins, Iowa (Pitcher)
• Week ending Feb. 24: Thomas Dillard, Ole Miss (Hitter); Tommy Henry, Michigan (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 3: Harrison Freed, Butler and TJ Hopkins, South Carolina (Hitter); Tanner Burns, Auburn (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 10: Cameron Warren, Texas Tech (Hitter); Jake Kuchmaner, East Carolina and Chris Gerard, Virginia Tech (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 17: Chris Lanzilli, Wake Forest (Hitter); Jake Kuchmaner, East Carolina (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 24: Tristan Peterson, New Mexico State (Hitter); Connor Thomas, Georgia Tech (Pitcher)
• Week ending March 31: Jake Sanford, WKU (Hitter); Zach Thompson, Kentucky (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 7: Kody Hoese, Tulane (Hitter); Alek Manoah, West Virginia (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 14: Spencer Steer, Oregon (Hitter); Cody Luther, Saint Louis and Ryan Shreve, Pacific (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 21: Logan Wyatt, Louisville (Hitter); Alek Manoah, West Virginia (Pitcher)
• Week ending April 28: Keaton Smith, Nevada (Hitter); Ryan Garcia, UCLA (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 5: Chase Smartt, Troy (Hitter); Andy Fisher, Illinois (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 12: Bryce Ball, Dallas Baptist (Hitter); Micah Kaczor, East Tennessee State (Pitcher)
• Week ending May 19: Andrew Daschbach, Stanford (Hitter); Seth Lonsway, Ohio State (Pitcher)
2019 NCBWA Division I Players of the Month:
• February: Nick Gonzales, New Mexico State (Player); John Doxakis, Texas A&M (Pitcher)
• March: Hunter Bishop, Arizona State (Player); Reid Detmers, Louisville (Pitcher)
• April: Adley Rutschman, Oregon State (Player); Alek Manoah, West Virginia (Pitcher)