DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association (NCBWA) released its National Player
of the Week awards for the period ending March 25. Illinois
junior first baseman Bren Spillane was named
National Hitter of the Week, while Oakland
senior right-handed pitcher Jake Lee was named
National Pitcher of the Week.
The NCBWA Board reviews candidates from each Division I Conference
each week and names winners each Tuesday throughout the season.
Spillane led the Illini to a 4-0 week, batting .643
(9-for-14) with three doubles, three home runs and 10 RBI. He
reached base at least three times in every game and was retired
only five total times in four games. The Wheeling, Ill., native
posted a .737 on-base percentage with a 1.500 slugging
percentage, while drawing five walks and scoring seven times.
Spillane scored the winning run in extra innings against
Northwestern on Saturday, went 3-for-4 in the extra-inning win
against the Wildcats on Sunday and stole three bases in the NU
Lee tossed a one-hit complete game, breaking a school
single-game record with a career-best 14 strikeouts to lead
Oakland to a 2-1 win over UIC in the series finale on Sunday.
The Highland, Mich., native's performance broke the previous
school mark of 13 set by Chris Van Dyke in 2013. Lee only gave
up one unearned run in the second inning off a sacrifice fly and
surrendered a double in the fifth. After the double, he retired
the next 13 consecutive batters.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit
the association's official Web site,
For more information on the NCBWA Division I National Players
of the Week, contact NCBWA Assistant Executive Director
at West Virginia University at 304-293-2821.
2018 NCBWA Division I Players of the Week:
• Feb. 20: Jake Brodt, Santa Clara (Hitter); Nick Sandlin, Southern Miss (Pitcher)
• Feb. 27: Brett Kinneman, N.C. State (Hitter); Joe DeMers, Washington (Pitcher)
• March 6: Luke Heyer, Kentucky (Hitter); Payton Kinney, Omaha (Pitcher)
• March 13: Jacob Rhinesmith, Western Kentucky (Hitter); Casey Mize, Auburn (Pitcher)
• March 20: Joe Genord, USF (Hitter); Griffin Roberts, Wake Forest (Pitcher)
• March 27: Bren Spillane, Illinois (Hitter); Jake Lee, Oakland (Pitcher)
• April 3: Jon Littell, Oklahoma State (Hitter); Colton Eastman, Cal State Fullerton (Pitcher)
• April 10: Connor Pauly, Morehead State (Hitter); Scotty Sunitsch, Washington State (Pitcher)
• April 17: Ross Haffey, Miami, Ohio (Hitter); Noah Zavolas, Harvard (Pitcher)
2018 NCBWA Division I Players of the Month:
• February: Brett Kinneman, N.C. State (Player); Brady Feigl, Ole Miss (Pitcher)
• March: Seth Beer, Clemson (Player); Casey Mize, Auburn (Pitcher)