DALLAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball
Writers Association released its National Player of the
Week awards for the period ending March 9. Oklahoma junior catcher/first
baseman Mac James was named National Hitter of
the Week, while Miami senior right-handed pitcher Javi Salas
was named National Pitcher of the Week. The NCBWA Board reviews
candidates from each Division I Conference each week and names winners
each Tuesday throughout the season.
James hit a team-high .684 (13-for-19) in a 4-1 week for the
Sooners. With a hit in all five games last week, he increased his
hitting streak to eight games. James totaled six runs scored and
six driven in. He went 3-for-3 with a RBI double and a stolen base
against Abilene Christian on Wednesday.
In game one of a doubleheader win over Rutgers on Friday, he
knocked in three runs on three hits, including a double, and walked.
James doubled for the third straight game as the Sooners won the
nightcap, and he finished 2-for-3 with a run and a RBI. On Sunday,
James went 4-for-4, his second four-hit game of the season, scored
three runs and hit a game-tying home run in the bottom of the sixth
inning. In the weekend series, he batted .750 (9-for-12). For the
week, James slugged 1.000 and had an on-base percentage of .714.
Salas twirled just the second perfect game in school history
in a March 4 win over Villanova. He threw just the 23rd perfect
game in modern Division I history (since 1957) in a 17-0 victory
over Villanova at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.
Salas' perfect game was the first in Division I since Matt Roberts
of Virginia accomplished the feat in 2011. The ACC Pitcher of the
Week award is the first for Miami this season and the first since
Andrew Suarez earned the same recognition on April 22, 2013 after
a complete game shutout of Clemson. Salas became just the second
Miami Hurricane to ever throw a perfect game and the first since
Kevin Sheary on March 14, 1987. Striking out six Wildcat batters,
Salas needed 113 pitches to complete the game for a 17-0 Miami win.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. For more information about the NCBWA, visit
the association's official Web site,
For more information on the NCBWA Division I National Players
of the Week, contact NCBWA Assistant Executive Director
at West Virginia University at 304-293-2821.
2014 NCBWA Division I Players of the Week:
• Feb. 16: Skyler Ewing, Rice (Hitter); Jeremy Null, East Carolina (Pitcher)
• Feb. 23: A.J. Reed, Kentucky (Hitter); Reed Garrett, VMI (Pitcher)
• March 2: Ryan Seiz, Liberty (Hitter); Jake Stinnett, Maryland (Pitcher)
• March 9: Mac James, Oklahoma (Hitter); Javi Salas, Miami (Pitcher)
• March 16: Nic Wilson, Georgia State (Hitter); Heath Dwyer, VCU (Pitcher)
• March 23: Michael Katz, William & Mary (Hitter); Frankie Vanderka, Stony Brook (Pitcher)
• March 30: Clint Freeman, East Tennessee State (Hitter); Matt Imhof, Cal Poly (Pitcher)
• April 6: A.J. Reed, Kentucky (Hitter); Nathan Kirby, Virginia (Pitcher)
• April 13: Mitchell Tolman, Oregon (Hitter); Jordan Carter, St. Joseph's (Pitcher)
• April 20: Byron Campbell, UMES (Hitter); Jeff Hoffman, East Carolina (Pitcher)
• April 27: Auston Bausfield, Ole Miss (Hitter); Thomas Eshelman, Cal State Fullerton (Pitcher)
• May 4: Casey Turgeon, Florida (Hitter); Jace Fry, Oregon State (Pitcher)
• May 11: Connor McVey, Cincinnati (Hitter); Matt Fraudin, Gardner-Webb (Pitcher)
• May 18: Kane Sweeney, Morehead State (Hitter); Ben Wetzler, Oregon State (Pitcher)