INDIANAPOLIS (USBWA) – Hasan Varence
of Ohio Dominican University (Columbus, Ohio) and Shannon
Ryan of Saint Anselm College (Manchester, N.H.) were named
the U.S. Basketball Writers Association Division II National
Players of the Week for the week ending December 1.
Varence, a senior forward, claimed his first Division II National
Player of the Week honor of the season after he posted a pair of
double-doubles and averaged 28 points and 13.5 rebounds to lead
Ohio Dominican to a split of its two games last week against Missouri-St.
Louis and Maryville. Varence notched 30 points and 16 rebounds in
a 70-64 defeat to UMSL before he helped the Panthers snap a three-game
losing streak by posting 26 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 assists in
an 84-60 win over Maryville.
A native of Queens, N.Y., Varence added 4 blocked shots and a
steal on the week, and he finished the week shooting 68 percent
(21-for-31) from the floor, including a 42 percent (5-for-12) clip
from three-point range, and he sank 9-of-10 from the free throw
line. On the season, the 6-foot-6 forward is averaging team-highs
of 20.6 points and 10.0 rebounds per game with four double-doubles
through the first eight games of the season. He is one of just 8 players
in Division II averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds per
game this season.
Ryan was named the Northeast 10 Conference Player of the Week
after scoring a career-high 33 points in helping the Hawks to an
84-83 victory over Southern New Hampshire last week.
The senior forward finished 13-of-23 from the floor, while also
pulling down 17 rebounds for her 43rd career double-double. She
also dished out two assists and blocked a pair of shots in the victory
as Saint Anselm improved to 5-0.
On the season, the Plattsburgh, N.Y., native leads NCAA Division
II with 15.0 rebounds per game and is second in scoring at 29.2
points per game.
Each Tuesday, the USBWA is selecting men's and women's Division
II National Players of the Week. This is the sixth season that the
USBWA will recognize national players of the week from Division
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was
formed in 1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter
Byers. With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America
team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Malcolm Moran
2019-20 USBWA Division II National Players of the Week
• Week ending Nov. 10: Andrew Sischo, Daemen College and Brianna Purcell, Saint Michael's College
• Week ending Nov. 17: Andrew Sischo, Daemen College and Kayla Marosites, Carson-Newman University
• Week ending Nov. 24: Pat Dembley, UT Permian Basin and Kwanza Murray, Lincoln University
• Week ending Dec. 1: Hasan Varence, Ohio Dominican University and Shannon Ryan, Saint Anselm College
• Week ending Dec. 8: Peyton Wejnert, Pace University and Taisha DeShazo, Catawba College
• Week ending Dec. 15: Jhonathan Dunn, Southern Nazarene University and Jamiyah Johnson, Davis & Elkins College
• Week ending Dec. 29: Kevin Buckingham, Southeastern Oklahoma State University and Peyton Steinman, Saint Anselm College
• Week ending Jan. 5: Jordan Floyd, King University and Mar'Shalia Lollie, University of Arkansas-Fort Smith
• Week ending Jan. 12: Sekou Sylla, The College of Saint Rose and Sylvia Hudson, Urbana University
• Week ending Jan. 19: Jhonathan Dunn, Southern Nazarene University and McKayla Roberts, Le Moyne College
• Week ending Jan. 26: Eamonn Joyce, Southern New Hampshire University and Tyra James, Urbana University
• Week ending Feb. 2: Winston Hill, Francis Marion University and Alexy Mollenhauer, Anderson University
• Week ending Feb. 9: Jordan Floyd, King University and Lilly Ritz, Wheeling University
• Week ending Feb. 16: Brian Halums, University of Arkansas-Fort Smith and Hailey Diestelkamp, Drury University