INDIANAPOLIS (USBWA) – Andrew Sischo of
Daemen College (Amherst, N.Y.) and Kayla Marosites of Carson-Newman
University (Jefferson City, Tenn.) were named the U.S. Basketball
Writers Association Division II National Players of the Week for
the week ending November 17.
Sischo, a junior center, claimed his second consecutive Player
of the Week honor after he averaged 25.5 points and 14.5 rebounds
while shooting 80 percent (20-for-25) from the floor while leading
Daemen to victories over defending Atlantic Region champion Mercyhurst
and No. 4-ranked West Liberty to improve to 5-1 on the season.
Sischo posted double-doubles in both victories, giving him six
consecutive double-doubles to start the season. He scored 22 points
with 11 rebounds in a 67-65 win over Mercyhurst, and he produced
a 29-point, 18-rebound performance with 3 blocks to lead the No.
22-ranked Wildcats to a 98-83 upset over West Liberty.
A native of Guilderland, N.Y., Sischo is averaging 25.2 points,
15.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists, and 2.3 blocks per game through the
first six games of the 2019-20 season.
Marosites, a senior guard, earned South Atlantic Conference Player
of the Week honors after averaging 23.5 points, 19.5 rebounds and
6.5 assists per game in two wins over King University last week.
In the 111-82 win at home on Wednesday, Marosites scored 27 points
and grabbed 22 rebounds, including eight on the offensive end, while
adding nine assists, two blocks and two steals. She finished the
game shooting 9-of-18 from the field, including 3-of-8 from three-point
range, and was 6-of-7 at the free throw line.
Three nights later in an 82-72 win at King, the Elizabethton,
Tenn., native finished with 20 points, 17 rebounds, four assists
and four steals.
On the week, she shot 42 percent from the field, including 31
percent from three-point range, and was 15-of-17 (88 percent) at
the charity stripe.
Marosites is averaging 19.8 points and 14.5 rebounds per game
for the 4-0 Eagles.
Each Tuesday, the USBWA is selecting men's and women's Division
II National Players of the Week. This is the sixth season that the
USBWA will recognize national players of the week from Division
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in 1956 at
the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers. With some
900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential organizations
in college basketball. It has selected an All-America team since
the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA and its award
programs, contact executive director Malcolm Moran at 814-574-1485.
2019-20 USBWA Division II National Players of the Week
• Week ending Nov. 10: Andrew Sischo, Daemen College and Brianna Purcell, Saint Michael's College
• Week ending Nov. 17: Andrew Sischo, Daemen College and Kayla Marosites, Carson-Newman University
• Week ending Nov. 24: Pat Dembley, UT Permian Basin and Kwanza Murray, Lincoln University
• Week ending Dec. 1: Hasan Varence, Ohio Dominican University and Shannon Ryan, Saint Anselm College
• Week ending Dec. 8: Peyton Wejnert, Pace University and Taisha DeShazo, Catawba College
• Week ending Dec. 15: Jhonathan Dunn, Southern Nazarene University and Jamiyah Johnson, Davis & Elkins College
• Week ending Dec. 29: Kevin Buckingham, Southeastern Oklahoma State University and Peyton Steinman, Saint Anselm College
• Week ending Jan. 5: Jordan Floyd, King University and Mar'Shalia Lollie, University of Arkansas-Fort Smith
• Week ending Jan. 12: Sekou Sylla, The College of Saint Rose and Sylvia Hudson, Urbana University
• Week ending Jan. 19: Jhonathan Dunn, Southern Nazarene University and McKayla Roberts, Le Moyne College
• Week ending Jan. 26: Eamonn Joyce, Southern New Hampshire University and Tyra James, Urbana University
• Week ending Feb. 2: Winston Hill, Francis Marion University and Alexy Mollenhauer, Anderson University
• Week ending Feb. 9: Jordan Floyd, King University and Lilly Ritz, Wheeling University
• Week ending Feb. 16: Brian Halums, University of Arkansas-Fort Smith and Hailey Diestelkamp, Drury University