INDIANAPOLIS (USBWA) – Andrew Sischo
of Daemen College (Amherst, N.Y.) and Brianna Purcell
of Saint Michael's College (Colchester, Vt.) were named the
U.S. Basketball Writers Association Division II National
Players of the Week for the week ending November 10.
Sischo, a junior center was named MVP of the ECC-CACC Challenge
last weekend after averaging 32.5 points, 18.0 rebounds and 4.5
blocks in Daemen's victories over Felician and Nyack. Sischo has
started the season with four consecutive double-doubles, as the
Wildcats split their games at the Small College Basketball National
Hall of Fame Classic before posting a pair of victories in the ECC-CACC
Challenge to improve to 3-1 to start the season.
Sischo went for 24 points and 15 rebounds in a season-opening
defeat to No. 1-ranked Northwest Missouri State, and he registered
11 points and 12 rebounds in a 68-64 win over Missouri Western.
He led the Wildcats to a 95-80 win over Felician with 31 points,
19 rebounds, and 5 blocks, and notched another 30-point game in
an 80-74 win over Nyack with a season-high 34 points with 17 rebounds
and 4 blocks.
Sischo, a native of Guilderland, N.Y., is averaging 25.0 points,
15.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists, and 2.8 blocks per game through the
season's first four games.
Purcell, a senior guard, earned Northeast-10 Conference Player
of the Week honors after averaging a triple-double in a pair of
wins. Purcell turned in 10.5 points, 11.0 rebounds, 13.0 assists
and 2.5 steals per game.
In an 82-64 win over Wilmington last Friday in the season opener,
Purcell had a triple-double by the third quarter and finished with
12 points, 15 boards – including six on the offensive end –
11 assists and a steal.
The Bedford, N.H., native added 15 assists, one shy of a school
record, to go along with nine points, even rebounds and four steals
in a 69-56 win over Caldwell on Saturday.
Each Tuesday, the USBWA is selecting men's and women's Division
II National Players of the Week. This is the sixth season that the
USBWA will recognize national players of the week from Division
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in 1956 at
the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers. With some
900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential organizations
in college basketball. It has selected an All-America team since
the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA and its award
programs, contact executive director Malcolm Moran at 814-574-1485.
2019-20 USBWA Division II National Players of the Week
• Week ending Nov. 10: Andrew Sischo, Daemen College and Brianna Purcell, Saint Michael's College
• Week ending Nov. 17: Andrew Sischo, Daemen College and Kayla Marosites, Carson-Newman University
• Week ending Nov. 24: Pat Dembley, UT Permian Basin and Kwanza Murray, Lincoln University
• Week ending Dec. 1: Hasan Varence, Ohio Dominican University and Shannon Ryan, Saint Anselm College
• Week ending Dec. 8: Peyton Wejnert, Pace University and Taisha DeShazo, Catawba College
• Week ending Dec. 15: Jhonathan Dunn, Southern Nazarene University and Jamiyah Johnson, Davis & Elkins College
• Week ending Dec. 29: Kevin Buckingham, Southeastern Oklahoma State University and Peyton Steinman, Saint Anselm College
• Week ending Jan. 5: Jordan Floyd, King University and Mar'Shalia Lollie, University of Arkansas-Fort Smith
• Week ending Jan. 12: Sekou Sylla, The College of Saint Rose and Sylvia Hudson, Urbana University