ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – For the season's 13th and final U.S.
Basketball Writers Association Ann Meyers Drysdale Women's National
Player of the Week and the organization's women's freshman player
honor, Drexel guard Aubree Brown is national player
while Texas A&M guard Chennedy Carter has been
tabbed for the freshman citation after each was involved in helping
their teams go unbeaten in games ending the week of Sunday, Feb.
The USBWA weekly honors for Division I women's players have been
handed out each Tuesday this season.
As the Colonial Athletic Association player and Southeastern
Conference freshman weekly winners, both were nominated for the
awards, which were chosen by Mel Greenberg, the USBWA coordinator
for women's basketball, primarily from a pair of lists of Division
I conference players and freshmen players of the week.
Brown, a 5-11 sophomore guard from Philadelphia, averaged 21.0
points, 4.0 assists, and 4.0 rebounds in two games. Her career-high
26 points helped lead Drexel to a double overtime upset of James
Madison as the Dragons moved into a virtual tie for first in the
CAA with the Dukes. She scored 23 points in the second half, including
10 in the two overtimes. Brown was again the high scorer with 16
points to help Drexel avoid an upset at Towson.
Carter, a 5-7 guard from Mansfield, Texas, averaged 22 points,
4.5 rebounds, and 5.0 assists, and 2.0 steals in two lopsided wins
by the Aggies over Arkansas and then-No. 11 Missouri. She has scored
20 or more points in 13 of 16 SEC games this season and her 649
points to date are the most ever for a Texas A&M freshman and
second overall for any player in Aggies history.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a women’s National
Player of the Year. For the 2012-13 season, the national and weekly
player award has been named for Hall of Famer and former UCLA All-American
Ann Meyers Drysdale. At the conclusion of the regular season, the
USBWA will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the
entire membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2018 Ann Meyers
Drysdale National Player of the Year will be announced and presented
at the USBWA’s annual awards event in Columbus, Ohio, site of the
2018 NCAA Women’s Final Four.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was
formed in 1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter
Byers. With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected a women's All-America
team since the 1996-97 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Joe Mitch at
2017-18 USBWA Women's National Players of the Week
• Week ending Dec. 3: Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon (National); Satou Sabally, Oregon (Freshman)
• Week ending Dec. 10: Jaime Nared, Tennessee (National); Braxtin Miller, Oklahoma State (Freshman)
• Week ending Dec. 17: Kitija Laksa, South Florida (National); Raneem Elgedawy, Western Kentucky (Freshman)
• Week ending Dec. 24: Victoria Vivians, Mississippi State (National); Kianni Smith, California (Freshman)
• Week ending Dec. 31: Megan Gustafson, Iowa (National); Eleah Parker, Penn (Freshman)
• Week ending Jan. 7: Lashann Higgs, Texas (National); Bre Cavanaugh, Fordham (Freshman)
• Week ending Jan. 14: Asia Durr, Lousiville (National); Hailey Brown, Michigan (Freshman)
• Week ending Jan. 21: Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame (National); Eleah Parker, Penn (Freshman)
• Week ending Jan. 28: Kaila Charles, Maryland (National); Anna Jones, Middle Tennessee (Freshman)
• Week ending Feb. 4: Brittany McPhee, Stanford (National); Ana Llanusa, Oklahoma (Freshman)
• Week ending Feb. 11: Kitija Laksa, South Florida (National); Destiny Pitts, Minnesota (Freshman)
• Week ending Feb. 18: Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn (National); Nicole Cardaño-Hillary, Georgia Mason (Freshman)
• Week ending Feb. 25: Aubree Brown, Drexel (National); Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M (Freshman)