ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association
has selected the Oregon's Dillon Brooks as its Oscar Robertson
National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Sunday,
Jan. 1. The USBWA's weekly honor is presented by Blue Ribbon
College Basketball Yearbook.
As the Pac-12 Conference Player of the Week, Brooks was nominated
for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the
USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players
of the week. This is the eighth season that the USBWA has selected
a national player of the week.
Brooks, a 6-7 junior forward from Mississauga, Ontario,
averaged 25.5 points on 60 percent shooting (18-30), 6.0
rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.5 steals as Oregon opened Pac-12
play with home victories over previously unbeaten and nationally
ranked teams, UCLA and USC. WIth the wins, Oregon extended the
its overall winning streak to 11 games its home court winning
streak to 35 games.
Brooks' week began on Wednesday with
a then season-high 23 points, including the game-winning three
pointer with 0.8 seconds left to knock off No. 2 UCLA, 89-87.
The momentum carried over to Friday's 84-61 win over No. 22 USC
as Brooks scored a season-best 28 points in just 24 minutes on
9-of-10 from the field, including a perfect 4-of-4 from behind
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University
of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year
Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only
one named after a former player.
the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA will name finalists
for the award, which is voted on by the entire membership.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America
team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA
and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Joe Mitch
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, the most comprehensive
college basketball publication in the world, returns for its 36th
season. Blue Ribbon – long-known as "The Bible of College Basketball"
– gives its readers the most thorough, up-to-date and timely evaluations
of every Division I team in the country. For more information about
Blue Ribbon Yearbooks, visit
2016-17 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
• Week ending Dec. 11: Josh Hart, Villanova (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 18: Malik Monk, Kentucky (Southeastern Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 25: Quentin Snider, Louisville (Atlantic Coast Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 1: Dillon Brooks, Oregon (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 8: Ryan Taylor, Marshall (Conference USA)
• Week ending Jan. 15: Quincy McKnight, Sacred Heart (Northeast Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 22: Lauri Markkanen, Arizona (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 29: Tim Cline, Richmond (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 5: Jacob Wiley, Eastern Washington (Big Sky Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 12: Bonzie Coles, Notre Dame (Atlantic Coast Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 19: Mike Daum, South Dakota State (The Summitt League)
• Week ending Feb. 26: Elijah Bryant, BYU (West Coast Conference)