ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers
Association has selected Baylor's Johnathan Motley
as its Oscar Robertson National Player of the Week
for games ending the week of Sunday, Feb. 21. The USBWA's weekly
honor is presented by Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook.
As the Big 12 Conference Player of the Week, Motley was nominated
for the weekly award, which was chosen by a representative of the
USBWA board of directors from a list of Division I conference players
of the week. This is the seventh season that the USBWA has selected
a national player of the week.
Motley, a 6-9 sophomore forward from Houston, Texas, lead
the Bears to back-to-back wins vs. ranked opponents, with 25.5 points,
7.0 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in 31.5 minutes last week. He connected
on 22-of-30 (.733) shots from the field, improving his Big 12-leading
field goal percentage from .624 to .640.
In just his second start of the season, Motley matched his career
high with 27 points against Iowa State in a 100-91 overtime win
last Tuesday to start the week. He followed on Saturday with 24
points at Texas, making 12-of-13 (.923) from the floor, in 28 minutes
in a decisive 78-64 road win.
Motley is the fourth Big 12 player to earn the weekly honor this
Since the 1958-59 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. In 1998, the award was named in honor of the University
of Cincinnati Hall of Famer and two-time USBWA Player of the Year
Oscar Robertson. It is the nation's oldest award and the only
one named after a former player.
At the conclusion of the regular season, the USBWA will name finalists
for the award, which is voted on by the entire membership. The winner
of the Oscar Robertson Trophy will be presented
at the College Basketball Awards on April 11, 2016,
at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City.
The Henry Iba Coach of the Year Award and the
Integris Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year Award
will also be presented at the gala to be held annually following
the NCAA Men's Final Four.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected an All-America
team since the 1956-57 season. For more information on the USBWA
and the Oscar Robertson Trophy, contact executive director Joe Mitch
Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, the most comprehensive
college basketball publication in the world, returns for its 35th
season. Blue Ribbon – long-known as "The Bible of College Basketball"
– gives its readers the most thorough, up-to-date and timely evaluations
of every Division I team in the country. For more information about
Blue Ribbon Yearbooks, visit
2015-16 Oscar Robertson National Players of the Week
• Week ending Dec. 13: Javan Felix, Texas (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 20: Kay Felder, Oakland (Horizon League)
• Week ending Dec. 27: Buddy Hield, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 3: Kris Dunn, Providence (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 10: Buddy Hield, Oklahoma (Big 12 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 17: Jack Gibbs, Davidson (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 24: Jakob Poeltl, Utah (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 31: Dillon Brooks, Oregon (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 7: Ryan Anderson, Arizona (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 14: Austin McBroom, Eastern Washington (Big Sky Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 21: Johnathan Motley, Baylor (Big 12 Conference)