ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers
Association has selected LSU guard Danielle Ballard as
its Ann Meyers Drysdale Women's National Player of the Week
for games ending the week of Sunday, Jan. 18. The USBWA's weekly
honor will be handed out each Tuesday through Feb. 17 this season.
As the Southeastern Conference Player of the Week,
nominated for the weekly award, which was chosen by Mel Greenberg,
the USBWA coordinator for women's basketball, from a list of Division
I conference players of the week.
Ballard, a 5-9 junior guard from Memphis, averaged 24.5
points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 3.0 steals to lead the
Tigers over two Top 15 opponents. Additionally, her
three-pointer with 0.8 left on the clock forced double overtime
at Mississippi State and she scored the go-ahead basket in the
final period of play.
Since the 1987-88 season, the USBWA has named a National Player
of the Year. At the Women's NCAA Final Four in Denver, 2012, the
organization announced going forward that the national and weekly
player award has been named for Hall of Famer and former UCLA All-American
Ann Meyers Drysdale. At the conclusion of the regular season, the
USBWA will name finalists for the award, which is voted on by the
entire membership of the USBWA. The winner of the 2015 Ann Meyers
Drysdale National Player of the Year will be announced and presented
at the USBWA's annual awards event in Tampa, site of the 2015 NCAA
Women's Final Four.
other women's awards are also to be announced later this season
associated with more famous names in women's basketball history.
Also in 2012 in Denver, it was also announced that former Tennessee
coach Pat Summitt, who was the female recipient of the Most Courageous
Award for her battle against early onset dementia, Alzheimer type,
would have that award named in her honor.
The U.S. Basketball Writers Association was formed in
1956 at the urging of then-NCAA Executive Director Walter Byers.
With some 900 members worldwide, it is one of the most influential
organizations in college basketball. It has selected a women's All-America
team since the 1996-97 season. For more information on the USBWA
and its award programs, contact executive director Joe Mitch at
2014-15 Ann Meyers Drysdale National Players of the Week
• Week ending Dec. 7: Morgan Tuck, Connecticut (American Athletic Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 14: Tabitha Richardson-Smith, Seton Hall (Big East Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 21: Alie Decker, Wichita State (Missouri Valley Conference)
• Week ending Dec. 28: Kim Pierre-Louis, UMass (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 4: Blake Dietrick, Princeton (Ivy League)
• Week ending Jan. 11: Betnijah Laney, Rutgers (Big Ten Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 18: Danielle Ballard, LSU (Southeastern Conference)
• Week ending Jan. 25: Cheyenne Parker, Middle Tennessee (Conference USA)
• Week ending Feb. 1: Jillian Alleyne, Oregon (Pac-12 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 8: Jonquel Jones, George Washington (Atlantic 10 Conference)
• Week ending Feb. 15: Moriah Jefferson, Connecticut (American Athletic Conference)