DALLAS (NCBWA) – The first cycle of the Div. III season
was logged by this week’s National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association
Div. III Rookie of the Week, while a no-hitter and a near-.700 average
rounded out this week’s winners. This week’s honorees – all from
Pennsylvania institutions – were selected based on performances
spanning March 11-17.
Hitter of the Week: Junior outfielder Holden
Bridge hit safely in 19-of-28 plate appearances in six games for
No. 8 Swarthmore College last week in Florida. Bridge, who recorded
a .679 average, had six hits in the Garnet’s 22-6 win over the State
University of New York at Canton, which tied 10 other Centennial
Conference players for the single-game hits record. Bridge registered
nine RBI, nine runs scored, three doubles, and a stolen base, as
the Garnet went 5-1 during the week. He only struck out once in
his 28 at bats.
Honorable Mention Hitter: Graham Welch, Sr.,
CF, University of Texas at Tyler – Recorded a pair of multi-home
run games as the Patriots took two out of three from the University
of Texas at Dallas on the road. He hit .750 (9-for-12) with five
RBI, four home runs, and two doubles. Welch tallied 23 total bases,
scored four times, and had a 1.917 slugging percentage.
Pitcher of the Week: Arcadia University junior
Tyler Showers was near perfect in a 6-0 win over Messiah College.
Showers threw the program’s second-ever no-hitter to lead the Knights
to victory. The junior needed just 87 pitches over seven innings
to accomplish the feat. He struck out six batter. Showers’ only
blemish came on a leadoff walk in the fourth inning.
Honorable Mention Pitcher: Jordan Muchin, Sr.,
Eastern Connecticut State University – Was named Little East Conference
Baseball Pitcher of the Week after shutting down No. 1 The College
of Wooster on Sunday. The senior fanned 11 batters while yielding
just four hits over eight shutout innings, as the Warriors blanked
the Fighting Scots to close out their Florida trip.
Rookie of the Week: Grove City College’s Colton
Lineman hit for the cycle on Friday in the Wolverines’ victory at
Penn State Greater Allegheny. Lineman led off Friday’s game with
a home run, then tripled to lead off the fourth. He cracked a one-out
single in the sixth, then completed the cycle in the eighth with
a bloop double to left. Lineman finished the 7-0 game 4-for-5 with
two runs score and two RBI.
Noteworthy, all four NCBWA Div. III Rookie of the Week awards
in 2019 have gone to teams from the Mideast Region.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Dick Howser Player
of the Year Award, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America
voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2019 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 24: Tre D'Amico, Frostburg State (Hitter); Keith Long, Texas-Tyler (Pitcher); Andrew Santobuono, Alfred State (Rookie)
• Week ending March 3: Deauton Delgado, Louisiana College (Hitter); David Hall, Belhaven (Pitcher); Casey Jones, St. Vincent College (Rookie)
• Week ending March 10: Davis Mikell, Castleton (Hitter); Jake Binder, Ithaca (Pitcher); Jacob Thompson, Oberlin (Rookie)
• Week ending March 17: Holden Bridge, Swarthmore (Hitter); Tyler Showers, Arcadia (Pitcher); Colton Lineman, Grove City (Rookie)
• Week ending March 24: Preston Ludwick, Centenary (Hitter); Brian Johnson, Springfield (Pitcher); Mason Sefcik, St. Norbert (Rookie)
• Week ending March 31: Chris DeGiacomo, Johns Hopkins (Hitter); Chris Atwood, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (Pitcher); Jacob Thompson, Oberlin (Rookie)
• Week ending April 7: Zack Smith, Salve Regina (Hitter); Worth Walrod, Suffolk (Pitcher); Nick Denove, Case Western Reserve (Rookie)
• Week ending April 14: Christian Jones, Catholic (Hitter); Shayne Audet, New England College (Pitcher); Dylan Fashempour, UMass-Boston (Rookie)
• Week ending April 21: Joey Stock, Saint John's, Minn. (Hitter); Connor Cook, Wisconsin-LaCrosse (Pitcher); Kyle Schaefer, Roger Williams (Rookie)
• Week ending April 28: Colin BeVard, Cortland (Hitter); Matt O’Sullivan, Wisconsin-Whitewater (Pitcher); Damen Castillo, Benedictine (Rookie)
• Week ending May 5: Eric Devore, Heidelberg (Hitter); Ryan Loutos Washington (Pitcher); Kobe Rogerson, Husson (Rookie)