DALLAS (NCBWA) – The University of
Wisconsin-Whitewater, Benedictine University of Illinois and New
England College picked up Hitter, Pitcher, and Rookie of the
Week recognition for March 19-25.
Hitter of the Week: Senior outfielder
Dakota Bryden lifted the Warhawks to a strong
start to the 2018 season. The Rockford, Ill., native tallied
four multi-hit games and hit for the cycle in one contest during
the week. On March 25 against Grinnell College (Iowa), he led
off the game with a home run, dropped down a bunt single in the
fourth, hit a triple in the fifth and posted a double in the
sixth to complete his cycle and finish 4-for-5 with three runs
scored and two runs batted in. Bryden collected four hits two
days earlier against Lawrence University (Wis.) and reached base
five times while tallying three runs scored and one run batted
in. He also registered two hits each in wins over Hope College
(Mich.) and No. 11-ranked Washington & Jefferson College (Pa.).
For the week, he hit .650 (13-for-20) with two doubles, two
triples, one home run, two walks, one stolen base, 12 runs
scored and five runs batted in.
Honorable Mention Hitter: Tage Johnson, Sr.,
INF, Houghton - Reached base safely in 14 of his 17 plate
appearances (.824 on base percentage) on the week, going
7-for-10 with two doubles, a triple and a home run as the
Highlanders won three of their four games. Johnson slugged 1.300
and added three walks, four hit-by-pitch, nine runs and eight
Pitcher of the Week: Benedictine University
of Illinois sophomore starter Ryan Miller tied
D3Baseball.com preseason top 10 ranked St. Thomas University of
Minnesota in knots March 24. The Eldridge, Iowa, native retired
27-of-28 batters with a career-high 12 strikeouts in a complete
game 1-0 one-hit shutout over the Tommies. He outdueled the MIAC
Pitcher of the Year from last year in the process, setting down
the first 14 batters of the game before allowing an infield hit
and then went through the final 13. Only five outs were flyouts,
including just four that reached the outfield.
Honorable Mention Pitcher: Trey Rampy, Sr.,
Berry - Had a career performance in a victory over Hendrix.
Rampy tossed a complete game three-hitter. He allowed no runs
and struck out 16 hitters in the 1-0 win.
Rookie of the Week: New England College's
Shayne Audet turned in a sparkling effort in a 6-0 win over
Lasell College during game one of a March 24 doubleheader. The
Springfield, Mass., native continued his impressive season
allowing just one hit and recording 13 strikeouts in the
seven-inning complete game.
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of
college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters, and
publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory,
newsletter updates and official votes in the Dick Howser Player
of the Year Award, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America
voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication
and writing contests.
2018 NCBWA Division III Players of the Week:
• Week ending Feb. 25: Josh Belarde, Iowa Wesleyan (Hitter); Jimi Keating, Spalding (Pitcher); Tristen Luck, Methodist (Rookie)
• Week ending March 4: Ben Sexton, Emory and Henry (Hitter); Patrick Maybach, Salve Regina (Pitcher); James Green, St. Mary's (Minn.) (Rookie)
• Week ending March 11: Carson Cox, Concordia (Hitter); Greg Schneider, Frostburg State (Pitcher); Justin Provost, Rowan (Minn.) (Rookie)
• Week ending March 18: Will Welsh, Lancaster Bible (Hitter); Colin Coffey, Luther (Pitcher); Isaiah Ausby, Cazenovia College (Rookie)
• Week ending March 25 Dakota Bryden, Wisconsin-Whitewater (Hitter); Ryan Miller, Benedictine (Pitcher); Shayne Audet, New England College (Rookie)
• Week ending April 1: Tommy Epsaro, DeSales (Hitter); Charlie Ruegger, Stevens Tech (Pitcher); Jack Layrisson, LaGrange (Rookie)
• Week ending April 8: Chris Fowler, UMass-Boston (Hitter); Matt D'Ambrosia, Muhlenberg (Pitcher); Joel Pierce, Wheaton, Ill. (Rookie)
• Week ending April 15: Austin Parent, Pitt-Bradford (Hitter); Jack Herzing, Penn State-Behrend (Pitcher); Jack Koch, Union College (Rookie)
• Week ending April 22: Coleman Hendershot, NYU (Hitter); Ryan Orr, Kalamazoo College (Pitcher); Jack Koch, Union College (Rookie)
• Week ending April 29: John Arancio, Southern Vermont College (Hitter); Cam Graham, Husson University (Pitcher); Austin Fox, Ripon College (Rookie)
• Week ending May 6: Cameron Upton, Gallaudet (Hitter); Tyler Peck, Chapman (Pitcher); Kellen Mitchell, Dubuque (Rookie)