DALLAS (FWAA) – Boston College junior linebacker Josh Ott (Silver Springs, Md.)
is this week's recipient of the Bronko Nagurski National Defensive Player of the Week Award
for his performance in the Eagles' 14-7 win over Notre Dame this past Saturday.
Ott scored on a 71-yard interception return to give the Eagles a 14-0 lead in the
second quarter. For the game, he made 15 tackles – including 10 solo – and
recovered a fumble that set up Boston College's first score. B.C. had lost 23 straight
regular-season games to ranked opponents and had not beaten a team in the top four in
the country since the Nov. 20, 1993 win at unbeaten Notre Dame, 41-39. With the win,
Boston College was also named the FWAA's national "Team of the Week."
A three-person panel from the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) selects the
winner of the weekly award.
The FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club pick a National Defensive Player of the Week each
Monday. Ott will be added to the Watch List for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy which will be presented
on Dec. 9 in Charlotte, N.C., by the FWAA and the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
2002 Bronko Nagurski Players of the Week
• Sept. 9: Maurice Sikes, Miami
• Sept. 16: Shane Walton, Notre Dame
• Sept. 23: Willie Pile, Virginia Tech
• Sept. 30: R.J. Jones, Missouri
• Oct. 7: Matt Grier, Mississippi
• Oct. 14: Corey Webster, LSU
• Oct. 21: Brandon Everage, Oklahoma
• Oct. 28: Terrell Suggs, Arizona State
• Nov. 4: Josh Ott, Boston College
• Nov. 11: Bobby Walker, Kansas State
• Charlotte Touchdown Club